EEA Visas Frequently asked questions

We have attempted to put together a list of some frequently asked questions put to us by some of our clients

Do i need an EEA Family Permit?

If you would normally need a visa to enter into the UK, then you might be needing an EEA Family permit if you are a family member of an EEA national. However, if you would not normally need a visa to get into the UK, this may not strongly apply to you.

What documents do i need to submit with the EEA Family Permit application?

Importantly, even though there are standard document checklists for visa applications, the documents required for any application may depend on the facts, circumstances as well as complexities of the each particular case. However, the general document required for the EEA Fammily permit application may include:-

  • Proof of relationship (marriage certificate or birth certificate for children).
  • Passports
  • A declaration by the EEA national that the non EEA national would be travelling together or joining him (make it simple. One or two lines is enough).
  • (If the EEA national has been living in the UK for more than 3 months, then proof of exercising treaty rights i.e. payslips or proof of study etc).
  • Importantly, a newly wedded couple may need to evidence the genuineness of the marriage. This is just to demonstrate to the Home office that the marriage is not a marriage of convinience. For unmarried partners, they may need to demonstrate that they are are in a durable relationship and they have been living together for the past two years.

Do i need to be employed before i can apply for the EEA Family Residence permit

If you have recently moved to the UK, then NO; as you would normally have 3 months of unrestricted residence. However, if you have remained in the UK for more than 3 months, you will need to show that you are have been excercising your treaty rights; in which case your employment status is one of the proofs of the excercise of treaty rights.


Quick Links


Banning the use of police cells as a place of safety for under 18s and ensuring they are only used for adults in exceptional circumstances

Click here to read more

Partner UK Law firms